Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Unforced Rhythms of Grace

I'm sitting alone feeling lonely. Revelation. How is it that I used to love being alone and now that I have so much freedom in which to bathe I want interaction, friendship, and intimate conversation? I am frustrated with myself. We make our own decisions in life, but I'm struggling with finding the paths I've imagined in my dreams.

If I could take a magic "happy pill" right now, I would--but wait. They have those. They're called "drugs." And they simply numb reality or charge happiness from tomorrow to today. Not gonna work.

Change is like dragging a sack of rocks around each day with the hope of one of them falling out. Or could it be that I have traded one sack of rocks for another. "Come to me, for my burden is light." Okay Jesus, here's the sack. Help me with that lighter burden. Somehow I must be taking on more than I should, because it doesn't feel light. What can I let go of? Finances? Friendship? Art? Vanity? I think you are prying my hands open to let go of all of it. Or maybe not prying--maybe simply reaching towards me and asking me to release those weights I hold so tightly.

And so I post this photo, which I took today on a simple rail, carved by someone, probably a teenage, who believed in love. I wonder where they are and if they still do.

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.

Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)

2 comments:

  1. Wow....Karen, I never knew you could write so beautifully!!
    The Matthew verse hits on all cylinders in my heart.....oh how I wish we lived closer and could talk over coffee. I am excited to see and learn from what He shows you. Bending His ear always......( love the photo!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! I found your comment. I feel so validated. Thank you for your encouragement on all fronts. Even though we rarely see each other, I count you as one of my dearest friends. Evidence of that is the tattered present still waiting in my stack of boxes in my entryway! :)

    ReplyDelete