Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Approach / Avoidance


I have a new profession. It's called "avoidance." Procrastination could be it's cousin, but I'm quite familiar with that, and this is different. Painting was something that didn't see the tarnish of procrastination because I always wanted to brush my visions onto canvas. It was an exercise that gave me joy, rewarding me by being far more ecstasy than agony. Now I have the pieces of my studio scattered about the house, and a beautiful empty room in which to put them together... So I went to Goodwill. No good reason. Just wandered for an hour trying to figure out why people make plastic statues of tigers mating and write books about the Sex Lives of Cannibals. I suppose it was free entertainment, but for me it had greater significance--avoidance. Why?! Do I need a personal trainer (with a whip) to get me moving forward? Sigh. Let me take this one step further to the syndrome called "Approach / Avoidance." Note, first of all, that there is an approach side to this! When one side offers a stronger reward than the other, there is that magic tipping point. So what is my reward for avoidance? Well, if one of you figures it out, please let me know. Fear of failure...hmmmm...maybe. Laziness?...no. Certifiable mess. Quite possibly. (Not just my house--ME.) I think I know why the Israelites wandered in the desert. The transition of leaving all that was familiar, even though it was freeing, tore their comfort zones apart. Letting go and embracing the new was their only positive response available. And yet they wandered. Tomorrow I will not wander. I will take one step at a time toward my goal, because I don't have 40 years and I'm with Joshua and Caleb--I believe the giants can be faced with God's help and direction...and with people who come along side and say, "You can do it."

2 comments:

  1. You can do it, Karen. But don't do it just because you have to. Do it when you're ready to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I think this was my first comment and I missed it! Thank you Val. You are such a great friend.

      Delete